Careers in Culture
Music and Sound Recording
A career in music and sound recording is a rewarding one with many opportunities and challenges. Using quizzes and interactive tools, this site will lead you to discover:
- Whether a career in music and sound recording is right for you
- The skills you need to work in the music and sound recording industry
- The multiple opportunities available in music and sound recording
- Tools and tips for getting your ideal job
If you have an interest in music and a creative mind, a career in music and sound recording could be for you.
Table of Contents
What You Need To Know
What You Need To Do
Now Hear This! Careers in Music and Sound Recording
A classroom ready printable booklet.
You will find quizzes on a student's aptitudes and knowledge of the sector; articles and testimonials on career options and paths; and work search strategies including sample résumés and interview questions.
If you are into music and you can’t stop dreaming about making your life in the music and sound recording industry, then a world of opportunity awaits you. People around the globe continue to turn to music as a primary entertainment source. As new music recording and broadcasting technologies emerge, so do simple and inexpensive methods of distribution and marketing. Combining your musical interests with other competencies, such as skills in computer science or business, means you have a wealth of career options. Of course, the old values of hard work and determination are just as relevant as ever.
Now Hear This! Careers in Music and Sound Recording is part of a series of resources to help you research, plan and achieve your cultural career goals. The series was developed by the Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC), a national not for profit organization that represents artists and arts organizations across Canada, in consultation with writers and those working in the music and sound recording industry. Explore CHRC’s website to learn more about other careers in culture.
Section 1 – What You Need to Know
In the first section, “What You Need to Know”, we:
- Look at the various job opportunities available in music and sound recording.
- Help you determine if a career in music and sound recording might be in your future.
- Examine some of the things successful musicians and sound recording people have in common.
- Explore the future of music and sound recording and learning.
Section 2 – What You Need to Do
In the second section, “What You Need to Do”, we:
- Explore the various educational paths you should follow in order to make yourself marketable in the competitive music and sound recording field.
- Show you how to market yourself by creating great cover letters, effective résumés, and performing well in interviews.
- Provide you with a list of helpful links, so that when you are ready to pursue your exciting new career, you will have all the tools at your disposal.
Careers for music lovers
There are hundreds of careers in the music and sound recording business. Here are a few examples: